View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #59
4mulaSvaliant

Dash and covering the last of that damn Yellow paint!

So, as you may have read previously, I HATE THE YELLOW that was on the truck when I got it. I have gotten rid of most of it (all except for the doors now).

So, the dash..... Some people may not approve and even I was hesitant with what I did, but I think I pulled it off pretty well.

What I am speaking of is the heater control panel and the "stamped" detail on the opposing side.
Ill start by saying how and why I decided to go this route. First, I didnt want to have a gauge panel hanging down from under the dash. I just dont care for the look of that. Next I wanted to keep the factory look of the dash. That lead me to the obvious open spots on the dash. Below the heater knob, and the opposite side of the radio hole were prime candidates for the gauges, however it wasn't without its cons. I was really reluctant to cut the dash itself. (I kick myself constantly for cutting holes in my door panels on my valiant for speakers!)

So, I actually put this project on the back burner and sat on the idea. THEN...... while scoring a few other parts I happened across another heater control panel. At that point I thought "well if I cut a hole in the dash to accept that panel, then I could always get another one with no giant gauge holes and pop it in and it would look pretty much factory still.

So the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Here you can see I cut a hole to accept a second heater control panel. (Yes I was very reluctant as I cut it out still! HAHAHAHA

Here it is with the gauges in place and prior to paint.

Bits and pcs stripped and ready for a little straightening and paint.

Painted bits (the radio delete plate will not be needed son! )

Dash painted and that ugly damn yellow gone!!!

All put together! I am pretty happy with the end result. The steering wheel is next along with paint the rest of the cab in the cream color.

Here is the side by side comparison.