View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Super_Dave

New to me 1998 Silverado Extended cab

I added this '98 Silverado Extended Cab a couple weeks back. Paid $3,200, mainly because it runs so nice and the owner took amazing care of it. It's my DD while I work on my '74 Square Project.

180K, 5.0 (305 doesn't bother me in the least), very clean.

Has an issue with the CD Player a few says after buying it. My CD's started to skip, run slow, run fast. . . pretty much possessed. Not sure if the head just needs cleaning, if it has a bad laser reader, a wiring issue (doubtful). . .any insights appreciated here. I see them on EBay for around $50 (most likely a shot-in-the-dark). A lot are the skinny version in the radio cluster, while mine is the remote version below the radio cluster and temp controls. Looking to keep it OEM, as the after-market "kits" leave a lot to be desired.

Has an issue with the clear coat peeling, so I will be fixing that at some point.

Has the typical issue with the radio back lights needing replaced, so an afternoon with a soldering iron will correct that.

Has the typical issue with the center fold down backrest lid hinge being broken. That will take some time to fix, as I will be fabricating something more robust.

Has an issue with the torpedo speaker on the drivers door coming loose. Not familiar with how they are attached and whether I need a full replacement or not. Needs further investigating.

Has an issue with the temp control fan switch. Operates intermittently, sometimes skips speeds, randomly runs at different speeds. . . not sure what's going on there, so any insights would be much appreciated.

I don't know anything about these trucks, being a Square owner, but it seems that the door controls (locks, windows, etc) should be back-lit, as it is impossible to find them driving in the dark. Am I guessing wrong?

I bought a GM OEM Key Fob on-line for $29 and programmed it in 30 seconds. Dealer wanted $75 for the Fob and more to program.

Has a great toolbox, dry, and locks work great.
Has a great spray in bed liner.

Here are the photos. I will be replacing the Mag wheels with some OEM steel wheels and center caps when I finally find a pair. . . 5x5 Steels seem as rare as hens teeth. Other than the wheel swap and clear coat replacement, I plan on keeping it all stock.

Dave
Attached Images

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."

Last edited by Super_Dave; 11-18-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote