View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #159
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
That classic instruments fuel sender is pretty neat. It works well and doesn't have a lot of movement in the needle since fuel doesn't slosh around inside the tube. I'm not using mine anymore because my aluminum fuel tank has a raised platform for the sender, so the tank never registered more then 7/8 full. It would come out of the fuel pump vent before it ever read full. You're lucky that you have an indented location in your tank to mount the sender. Had mine been done that way, I'd probably still have it installed.
Thanks for mentioning that, Duane. My only info about this style sender is what I've read on the Google. Good to know details from someone who's actually had one installed.

The engine arrived at the freight terminal last Thursday and I picked it up the next day. Trans stuff will be delayed a few weeks due to some sort of problem with the hardened input shaft. Performance Automatics rejected a batch of them so they're running behind on the 4L70E's.

Now that the LS is here, I've got a bunch of detailing to do. The FITech LS intake reminds me of the sign on my wall, "Looks great from 8ft ...after 8pm." The runners and welds are great but the curved top of the unit looks like it was formed by hand. Plus there's a big spot in the middle that appears to have been heated or distressed somehow before anodizing. I'm mulling what I can do to camouflage the whoop-de-do's but haven't landed on a solution yet. The injector wiring is a little easier to address. I welded some ends on a piece of 1x2 aluminum rectangle tubing then cleaned them up. Corner rounded the top edges and milled a decorative slot into the top before opening up the bottom. It fits down over the injector plugs nicely. I still need to trim about 5/8" off the bottom and have them powder coated, but they look better than nothing ...IMHO.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote