View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #15
Wwes

Re: 83 K10 Survivor, Part 2

It's been a few weeks of "one step forward, and one-half step back".

I've been struggling with the wiring for the fuel pumps for some time now, and finally decided to find factory style dash selector switch wiring and patch it in. Luckily, it's easy to see that GM was piecemealing the ECM components in these trucks, as the dual fuel tank harness is still separate from the under dash master harness.

Found an 87 truck in a JY, and got the dash switch, the wiring harness through the firewall, and the rear-body connector which powers the fuel pumps and the fuel gauge in this generation of trucks.

The harness went in easily, and I connected the tank pump power into the shank where I removed the original tank wiring harness, and viola, I now have fuel pump power and both tanks work as desired!

Still don't have the fuel gauge wired up but it's coming.

Tried to test the engine start today, not much luck though as soon as pressurized the fuel system, the fuel pressure regulator shot fuel everywhere. So, I rebuilt the TBI with all new seals, and it helped but still has a leak. I'd wager the fuel pressure regulator spring has been changed at some point, as it seems to be longer than I'd expect it to be.

And the power steering pump is leaking from the front shaft, so I'll replace that while I'm easily able to do so.

More parts ordered, and maybe I'll get a Christmas wish and get the old truck running.

One problem I'm struggling with is the dipstick tube for the 700R4. The one I got out of the GMT-400 (1990 C1500) interferes with the A/C evaporator housing in the square. Any thoughts?

And finally, here's a truck that is my inspiration - we saw it at the Daytona speedway swap meets a few weeks ago!
Attached Images

Wwes is offline   Reply With Quote