View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #106
svr

Re: 57 Short Box 235 5sp C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clegg View Post
svr, I noticed on a few threads that you had used a key in steering column and shaved the ignition switch off of the column. How did you go about disabling the trans and steering locking?

I have an 80's tilt key in column and want to just use the in dash switch that I already have wired up.
Clegg, evidently i didnt take any pics when i did that, at least i cant find any. What i did was dissaemble the column until could get the key cylinder out, all the guts that operate the ignition switch down on the column and the lock mechanism. I took the cone that held the key cylinder was in and cut the protrusion off until it was close to even. I made a plug from a piece of steel shaft to fill what was left of the hole the cylinder and glued it in with JB weld. From there it was grinding and finishing the cone and reassembly. Its been a couple yrs since i did that but thats what i remember. When i reassembled i replaced the bearings and the turn signal switch and lock tighted the screws that hold the tilt mechanism. If you have any more questions let me know.