Thread: 1971 GMC Donald
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2023, 04:57 PM   #40
mxerhale

Re: 1971 GMC Donald

Now that the truck was moving under its own power I started to work on some of the small things needed to make it driveable.

First up was the blinkers, one front and the opposite side back worked when you flipped them on and the brake lights didn't function at all! We surmised that it was a grounding issue and after multiple tries figured out that it was actually grounding out in the column blinker switch. It wasn't my favorite part of working on the truck, but so far they have worked flawlessly since the replacement switch went in.

My VS Racing turbo kit came with a 50mm BOV and flange which would require some aluminum welding, I am not the guy for that job, however a friend of mine at work has a welding business on the side and he is the guy. I think it turned out absolutely beautiful.

My good friend of 20+ years was driving home from work one day and spotted some wheels and tires in a front yard sitting as if they were for sale. He stopped and asked what they fit and how much were they asking for these big fatties and the owner said that he simply wanted them gone, for free! I now have 4 295/50-15s on big older chrome wheels, luckily looks are not my real concern. These things look like steamrollers compared to the puny 215/60-15s that were on it and so far I only have them on the rear and haven't tried fitting them on the front yet.

Look at all that ground clearance!
Attached Images