View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #150
Scot_Douglas

Re: Starting my first build - 1966 C10

Well, I can try to explain...

This is the front of the sectioned crossmember BEFORE test-fitting the rack:

Notice the squared off section that runs across the front - this is a 2x2" 0.120 wall tube I fit in to increase stiffness (and fill a big spot that was left open.

Problem came when I test fit the rack and realized the R&P wanted to sit in about the same spot as the tubing. Doh! I don't have any detailed photos of the hacking I did to cut out the top and front face of that 2x2" piece - the remains of the 2x2 tube literally ended up looking like a 2x2" piece of angle iron.

Mounting the rack was a pita - only because I didn't have a helper that could tack brackets in place while I held the R&P where I wanted it. Other than that, the brackets are vertical tabs that sit on both sides of the rack mount bushings. The rear tabs have a nut welded to the back of them and I run a 7/16" grade 8 bolt through each bushing.

The stock rack bushings came with steel inserts / sleeves that have serrations on each end: that allows the rack about 1/4" adjustment up/down/left/right before you tighten the bolts down. Once you tighten the bolts, the serrations on the steel sleeve bite into the tabs and keep the rack from moving around.

Here's the best / closest shot I have of what I ended up with:

If you look hard enough, you can see the bolts sticking out of the tabs - as they were just being used as locating pins here.

Also, I don't know if you picked up the fact I had to go with a smaller damper and underdrive pulley, along with moving the engine 1.5" rearward to get everything to fit:

Like I told Rob in his R&P thread in the suspension forum - I would've gladly purchased his setup if I knew it was going to be offered. Also - many people ask why I went with the T-bird rack instead of the MII - here are the reasons:

1. 87 T-bird rack was much cheaper rebuilt than any MII rack I could find ;
2. Same overall dimensions as MII rack;
3. (Supposedly) better internal seal design / upgrade over MII;
4. Valving is different and much more compatible with GM saginaw submersed pump (no change in flow restrictor needed).

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Scot
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote