View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #98
Scot_Douglas
Fabrication OCD

Re: Starting my first build - 1966 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
It appears you make your exhaust like I do .. lol good job..
What? I thought I had all the empty beer cans? ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty 46 View Post
Nicely done ... what did that all cost you??

Time invested?

Ratty 46
Good question - and I was thinking of tallying it up - but then my wife might find it.

I bought the rear end along with a serpentine setup for $400, but the agreed price was $150. I spent $250 on new calipers/discs/hoses/cables and probably about $50 in steel. Oh, and wheel adapters for $120...

Maybe $700 total?
Time? Probably a solid 20 hours of measuring and fabwork - maybe 40 extra hours on all the research I put in on which IRS vs. what 4-link design vs. redoing(shortening) the trailing arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Using OEM parts makes a lot of sense. I never have understood swapping out a trailing arm set-up to a 4 link set-up for a street driven truck. Trailing arms are a proven design, but going independent, like you are, should make for a nicer ride and better handling.

Bet you're really looking forward to that first drive.
Oh man, you ain't kiddin'! Hopefully, it'll be vibration free and not have any bad characteristics. One nice thing about the IRS is that they (in general) do lousy burnouts - so hopefully it'll help me act more my age behind the wheel.

I would've left the dang rear suspension alone if I hadn't been told: "All stepside beds are the same - from '56 to '66". That missing 8" of bed is hard to spot when the thing is propped up on the side of the road!

One of these should be waiting for me when I get home...
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote