View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #38
DustinU

Re: 1969 Blazer...To be my daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCreek View Post
When I used Al's Liner on the entire inner cab/bed of the K5 it took about 1 & 1/2 kits. I sprayed it on thick...should have sprayed it on thin. Thick caused lots of bare spots that took more of the Liner to cover. Also, I probably should have primed it since the original ochre floor color showed through the bare spots....well, actually, maybe that was a good thing to let me know where I missed.

I guess what I'm saying is that you may need more than one kit...

Thanks OldCreek, I actually started with 2 gallons of Al's Liner and it wasn't enough. I put it on fairly thick, but my plan of attack wasn't well thought out. For anyone doing this in the future... Mix maybe half a gallon first, get in and get the corners and hard spots (nooks and crannies) from the center of the bed, then under the rail with whats left of that half gallon (do this last or you may spill it, ask me how I know . Then mix the next full gallon and go after it, leaving the last half a gallon for thin parts and touch up places you may have missed. That is what I would do if I had another shot at it anyway.
My third gallon is on the way for touch ups etc. I ended up using the medium tip on the $20 harbor freight gun, adjusted the trigger pull as hgs_notes suggested and only used half the flattener per gallon, I like it. It is raining so I will take pics tomorrow.

I only used the etching primer on the bare metal areas, otherwise I just scuffed the paint and cleaned it very well with lacquer thinner per the instructions. It was very easy to do and would recommend it so far.

Last edited by DustinU; 03-25-2012 at 05:24 PM.
DustinU is offline   Reply With Quote