View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #13
heligypsy

Re: Origin of the "Heavy" Half-Ton?

I happen to have inherited by marriage a "Heavy" Half-Ton.
This beautiful 1972 Chevy Truck
(K20-Heavy Half, Short-box, Fleet side, with every bell and whistle you could order) will be in our will.
In the late 1990's my husband and I set out to restore this beautiful family heirloom. In trying to keep it as close to original we discovered several things. First off in the springs on the back of the seat was the original dealer speck sheet. Yes I have titled it correctly by calling it a "Heavy Half".

Here is a few more facts we we learned:
1. The 1972 is slightly different than all other years of the Chevy Truck. There are a few "flags" that can help you tell the difference. If anyone wants to know I'll be glad to share.
2. The "Heavy" half was a designation that was also a lot of times labeled as the Custom Camper. This let repair garages, auto-body shops, parts houses etc know that although the outer body, eng. etc was the K20 the frame rail, rear "pumpkin", driveline, and rear axel, springs, brakes etc. were beefier. They were what today would be called a 3/4 ton because in 1972 there was not a K30 available.
3. The K designates a 4x4 and the C disignates a 2x2.
4. The "Longhorn" or longbox was not available in the K20.
5. That bumpers on the Cheyene package with all the bells and whistles you could have, were more often than not added at the dealership. So when you ordered a custom truck you truly got a "Custom" one of a kind truck.
6. That according to the archive department at Chevy that I talked to - of the 6,000 frames made under this distinction of K20 "Heavy Half", They were allotted for the Truck both step & fleet side, Van and Blazer. If split even between the 4 that makes our beastie a very, very rare truck.
7. That if you want to get these beautiful trucks appraised or insured properly it is a tough job!

The heartbeat of America - yesterdays Chevy!
heligypsy is offline   Reply With Quote