View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #20
SS Tim

Re: Origin of the "Heavy" Half-Ton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
To my recollection, the highest GVW rating you could get on our trucks was 5400lb rating on the GVWR plate.
Actually 5400lb is only the highest GVW rating for a C/10 pickup.
K/10 pickups went all the way to 6000.

Blazers, C/10 5400lb and K/10 5850lb

Suburbans with all three seat rows could go even higher, C/10 6650lb and K/10 6800lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
...Now, that said...it is not uncommon to see 67-72's (or even the next earliest series 64/65/66') running around with a designation on the front lower side of the box saying 6000 GVW...which I find interesting.
I have seen this hundreds of times on older trucks.....who made that call?... and wrote/stamped that writing on the side of the box?....it wasn't the owners.
Interesting stuff.
All Good
Coley
It used to be a common requirement by states to post a maximum GVW class on a pickup since it was considered a commercial vehicle. 6000lb was a common point and you will see many trucks with 6000lb GVW and an "Under" or "Max" prefix. However, often just the weight limit was applied.

Most of the time they were applied at the dealer, being bread and butter for many a local budding sign painter. Decals are also seen from really nice plates and banners to individual letters/numerials. Even mailbox letters can be seen on occasion.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote