View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #1
Pvmt-Pndr

69 C60 Mega Truck Hauler

Some of you guys have been in my other thread answering my other questions about a completely different truck and seeing the one I ended up buying. I figured I'd start a build thread. I picked up a 1969 C60 with a 427, Eaton 5 speed, 2 speed Eaton rear end with a 6:50/8:87 rear gears. A whopping top speed going down hill of 59 mph. Just over 80k miles on it. 23k gvw

Upgrades that have been done by previous owner include LED flood lights on the back of the cab and an HEI distributor... that's a short list something isn't right in the system either. She was pinging like crazy on my 4 hour ride home. I believe the timing is off quite a bit.

Things that need to be fixed on it currently:
The ring gear on the flywheel is gone, I can only start it by pull starting it. Tune it up. Check the timing. All 6 tires look like crap, 4 of them are still 20" "split rims" and 2 have are 22.5". The exhaust is a mess and completely shot from the manifold gaskets back. There is also an electrical draw, I put a brand new battery in it and it killed it. The battery is in the garage and I'm bring it back to life now.

My plans:
Get the engine running like it should, tune up, check the timing, new air filter.
I will be putting a Holley 650 on it later.
Get 6 used 22.5 rims and tires - I'll be keeping the current two 22.5s that are on it as a spare.
Regear the rear end! I believe a 4:56 Would suit my needs perfectly but 4:88s seem to be more common. I could use some help on where to locate a new gear set.
Go through the entire trucks air system and brake system and make sure it's 100%.
Get a saddle fuel tank to mount to the frame, currently it only has the roughly 18 gallon tank behind the seat and at 4-5 mpg that won't cut it.
I need to dig into the gas gauge and find out why it's not working.
I will be building an exhaust for it, I have a set of long tube headers that I hope I can make work already.
90% of the lights work but need a good cleaning. The brake lights are completely shot so I will be upgrading those.
There's a piece of C-channel on the back of the frame where the pintle hitch is located now that is bent. I will be replacing that and reinforcing it so that doesn't happen again.
The interior is in decent shape and needs some cleaning, finishing touches and I'm going to see what I can do to cut down on the wind in the cab and how loud it is.
Paint - it will stay white with black accents. I've already decided I'm going to monsterliner it. I've had good success with it in the past.
Replace the heavy carbon diamond plate on the frame behind the cab with a bigger lighter piece of aluminum diamond plate.
Replace the rusty heavy and ugly painted white carbon diamond plate on both steps with a piece of nice aluminum diamond plate. Same aluminum that will be on the frame rail.
Replace the mud flaps- I lost one on the way home.
Install a radio and some speakers.
Replace the blower motor so I have heat.

That's the short list of things I can think of off the top of my head for now. Pictures to follow of the day I got her home. It should be noted that I did have back surgery in December and am a lot slower then I used to be. I want to have this truck ready to pull by next spring.

When it is done it will be used to pull 2 mega trucks around to wherever we feel like going. My wife has a 72 K10 on tractor tires and once this truck is done I will be building myself one. I figured I may as well get a truck too big for my needs so I can grow into it.

Last edited by Pvmt-Pndr; 04-22-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote