View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Torque Converter question?

That cam is a bit extreme for 3.73's as the torque won't be there to move off the line nicely.

Let's figure your going to run 28" tires which will be roughly a 275-60-15 of a 7-8 inch rim. Since the tire size you listed would change to match the trucks whole concept now. I would seriously consider going big to 4.56 gears to allow the engine to be in its power band at 70mph, but also allow mechanical advantage for lack of torque off the line.

Your current combo of tire, and 3.73's puts you at 3100 rpm at 70 roughly which is below the cams stated power curve. Personally I would prefer to be right at the bottom edge of the power curve for better mpg or manners at speed. Factor in the manifold you have you need to keep air speed up for the carb, and engine to be happy. My friend ran a Duntov 3030 with 4.11's, and at 70 it would slow down going up hills due to lack of torque. Where as my torquey 350 didn't care about hills since I had tons of torque by comparison. Yes large hills like the cajon pass needed more throttle, but small ones didnt seem to make a difference to my 70 mph only cruise control system.

Lastly I would seriously go for a 3000-3500 rpm stall with the 4.56 gears to bring your combo into a happier zone. Plus invest in foam ear plugs, and then enjoy
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote