View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #120
K20chevy

Re: Eaton HO72/HO52 vs. 14 Bolt FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
Much thanks Cap'n. I have recently acquired a 14 bolt ff. It's a bulky beast with 373 r&p and I believe the carrier is a gov-lock type. I was told it came from a g30 van. I am having a bit of difficulty identifying the year (if it is significant). I believe it from a mid 80's van and probably 1985 or earlier and may have the smaller pinion bearing.

I have found numbers on the axle tube and on the differential housing case. There is a little clock like symbol which I assume indicates the month and beside that there is the number 10. I guess the number 10 is the day of the month. I'm not certain about this, its just a guess.

There is also an alpha-numeric stamp on the long tube which seems to be KSRG 2692. The G is an uncertain character, could be a 6--can't tell.

Could someone please enlighten me as to what these characters represent and how to determine the year of this axle?

Also I suspect that since the van was longer than the swb c&c that I plan to install this axle in, then the pinion angle will be different unless I cut the spring perches and relocate them. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Advice much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would imagine there is a place to look up the build code on that differential, but I have no idea where to look for something that new. It sounds as though all you want to know that you don't already, is the year? If so, just pull the cover and look at the year stamped on the ring gear.

I don't think the pinion angle will be an issue but the width of this differential could be. Typically full size van differential are 3-4" wider than a pickup differential. This may or may not be an issue with your '70 C30 C&C. It will depend on what you plan to use for a bed on the truck.
So I speak from experience, since I do run a late 70īs G30 Van 14FF in my truck. It is correct that it is wider than the truck rear end. The WMS to WMS on the truck is 67" and the one on the van is 70". So it is exactly 3" wider and somewhat matches the 69.5" WMS to WMS on the front axle. This is the reason I changed mine out, to get rid of the wheel spacers. HOWEVER, the spring perches on the van are WAY wider than the truck. So there is no way around new spring perches or at least cutting them off and relocating them. On my K20 I already had to move them in about 2" per side, so the K30 will need them even further in.

I hope this does help. If you have any more questions, jut let me know.

68 Chevy K20 Panel truck, build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...41#post7263441
K20chevy is offline   Reply With Quote