View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #27
76C10Stepside

Re: 89 S10 4.3 Need help troubleshooting TBI/IAC Idle issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
The fuel pressure regulator is in the TBI unit and testing the pressure must be done with the gauge installed on a T fitting, engine running.

You are just guessing at the pressure because your gauge does not go that high, but 18 PSI is easily reached with a good strong pump when the gauge is on the end of the line, or the return line flow is stopped.

My guess is there is no problem in the tank. If the hose in the tank was split it would not hold pressure after the pump stops. The test you did does not show that the pump is good for sure, but the test leads me to believe the pump is good. You were in the TBI unit already so you would have seen if the fuel regulator spring is broken.

On ODB1 system and these TBU trucks it is a process of elimination, especially working over the internet when I am note using my senses to see how it is running. So far we have not definitively ruled out much.

I suggest you change the oil and get truck on the road to give it some run time after the changes you have made, so it can relearn the IAC position and fuel tables. This will also give it a chance to clean up soot off sparks plugs and the oxygen sensor.
Understood. Yes, I verified that the FPR spring is NOT broken (or weak) when I did the rebuild. Will change engine oil/filter and see what happens and report back here. Thanks!

Notes:

I figured a static pressure test was inadequate, but hoped it would do for now. Would like to rig up a permanent test fitting (schrader valve?) so I can do a proper test anytime after I change the oil and filter. The auto parts store did not have anything like that, so I had to settle for an assortment of vacuum fittings with two different sizes on each end. I used two of them, a piece of hose and 3 hose clamps to connect the hose on the guage to the piece of hose added to the fuel lines by somebody else. Any suggestions?

IMO, the (static) reading of 16 PSI was within +/- .5 PSI, because I measured it using an item that is the same width as each 1 PSI gradiation, using the outer/vacuum gradiations to mark each point on a blown-up photo on the computer.

The engine would not even start with the IAC disconnected, but that may be because the crankcase was full of gas by then. After I change the oil/filter, if still having problems (like stalling), I will try the "relearn" procedure again.
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote