View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
cleszkie

Re: Enginge/Trans opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith6987 View Post
Thank for your input. At one point I had decided to go with a 700r4. I figured the 4:56 would give me the range to go either 35 or 37” tires and keep rpm around 2500 at 65. I don’t have a problem with changing them again to a 4:10 if that will work better with the sm465. I just can’t get the idea of a 4 speed out of my mind. I want a Blazer that looks and feels like an “old” truck. I mostly drive around on the gravel country roads and rarely go over 55 mph. LSs are great I have one in my daily driver, but I want to open the hood and have something that is “somewhat” era correct. Engines are not my strong point , but I have some experience with a basic small block.
When you do your rpm calculations you need to consider that an automatic transmission may be turning a few more hundred rpms than a manual transmission at the same speed driven. Manual transmissions have a solid link to the engine's crankshaft so they turn at the exact same rate as the crank. Automatic transmissions are linked to the crankshaft via torque converter and friction belts that can allow for "slippage". I guess if you have an auto transmission with a positive lock up on the torque converter this slippage can be eliminated. But I thought I would just bring it up.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote