View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
LEEVON

How did you find your truck? Or did it find you?

Just for fun...how and where did you find your truck?

I'll go. The finding of my 1950 3100 is a modern-day story of the internet. I was actively searching for an AD truck and I responded to a craigslist posting outside of Billings, MO with no photos. This was in 2009 when AD trucks were getting more popular but not crazy yet. I lived in Arkansas at the time and the seller was located off the beaten path so I was able to get there and buy it quickly but needed a couple weeks time before I could return to pick it up. That's the boring part of the story. It gets more exciting when I made a poor decision. Worried that it might get stolen out of the field it was sitting in I asked the seller if he could move it closer to his trailer house. The seller followed my wishes and picked the worst possible spot for anyone to access the truck and the best spot to deter theft. Then it rained and snowed for the next two weeks. When we came to pick up the truck it was angled between trees, in a sloping and grass-less muddy trailer "yard" with poor access, no sunlight and just generally crappy conditions. All four wheels were locked up, tires flat and the hubs were frozen to the wheels. We had an equipment trailer with a hand winch, a jack, very slow tire pump and few tools. It took about four hours of winded slipping and sliding and cussing to get the truck on the trailer. We left almost defeated and frozen from the wet muddy snow-slush and dreary rainy weather. A quick bite at the Wendy's drive through before an hour and a half drive home was no consolation.

It took Dad years to add that to the list of "fun" car adventures I had dragged him on. That particular day he was NOT my biggest fan. Near the 10 year anniversary of that mess I repaid him with a steak dinner : ) Here are some photos from gotcha day, including a forced smile from Dad holding my oldest boy who is old enough to drive now. And the easy-access original location of the truck where I should have left it.

Let's hear your story! Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by LEEVON; 08-12-2020 at 08:54 AM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote