View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
1project2many

Re: How did you find your truck? Or did it find you?

I was moving out to Hardin, MT about 50 miles from Billings when I first saw my truck. I stopped in Alliance NE to see my uncle and the truck was being stored in his workshop by a coworker. I wasn't real excited. It had some '60s bucket seats, the heads were off the engine, the bed wood was rotted, and it was a long box. My uncle tried to get me to buy it but I passed.

A year or so later I was looking for a project. I really wanted a truck from the '30s but folks who lived within a few miles of I90 all thought their trucks were made of gold. I looked at one piece of junk after another all priced way too high. I went to see a truck in a newspaper ad right off the highway in Billings, "2 1959 Chevy Trucks, $900." Every panel on both trucks was cut, pierced, or dented. The fleetside bed in one truck had been run over with a dozer. One truck had a rusted iron lump under the hood that the seller said was a "high performance six." The engine bay of the other truck was empty. I was disgusted with the search so I called my uncle and made a deal with the owner of my truck for $175. More than I wanted to pay but he said it had the original V8. Seemed a little steep in 1993 dollars but looking back, maybe not too bad.

Getting the truck back home is a story of its own...
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote