View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #20
Coupeguy2001

Re: How did you find your truck? Or did it find you?

Next to the chevy dealer was a u-fix it maintenance bay rental place. For $40 a Day, you could rent a work stall with a lift and fix your car.
The place used to be a dodge dealership.
Anyway, people would take their cars apart, and if they weren’t dine with them, they would push them Or drag them with a forklift to a lockup area so that when you came back to finish your car, you can get the car pushed or dragged back yo a stall.
Dome people never came back for their cars. The place had started to accumulate a bunch if cars and trucks.
When i was 12, there was a wrecked 57 chevy truck at the fence, facing the street.
My parents were taking me every thursday for guitar lessons, so i saw that truck coming and going every thursday.
When we would go to church that way On Sunday, it was there, and when i got into college, you guessed it! It was still there.
After college, i worked for a few years, and got married.
It was still there.
Finally one Saturday i stopped to ask about it.
The guy said u don’t want it, it has a bent frame.
I said what’s it worth for parts, he said for $150 i will tow it anywhere in this city you want it to go, but you have to buy both of them, and i want $100 for the other one.
So i went and looked at it.
The left front spring pin had sheared off in the accident, and left tire slid up to the cab.
So i went to the bank, and gave him $250, and he delivered one to my apartment, and the other one to my sister’s garage.
In a half hour, both truck’s tires were flat After winching them down.
Both trucks were big window cabs.
So with a battery, and a can of gas, my truck started.
I had to rebuild wheel cylinders, replace rubber hoses, rebuilt master cylinder, flush out the gas tank, switch sheet metal and bumper with the other truck, and buy a spring pin at the chevy dealer for $3.
A carb kit and a fuel pump, and it was driveable.
That was 1973.
I still got it.
It has a kimbridge frame stub, coilovers, G body suspension, front and rear sway bars, hydroboost, tubular control arms, 1989 corvette engine, 4+3 corvette trans and 96 impala SS wheels
Attached Images

Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote