View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #36
G8rN@te61

Re: 1 barrel rochester carb 1967 problem

OK so I could use some help fellas. I have a 61 stepper with a 1971 250 and 3 speed saginaw out of a nova. It has a 1bbl Rochester on it with stock intake and exhaust manifolds. It was running rough so I checked the timing and re-set it at around 6• BDC without vacuum. Ran better but idle still seems rough. Dizzy looks like it was replaced recently enough. I checked the plugs and it is the typical center 2 are gummy and outer 4 are clean so I changed them all to be safe. Ran a little better. I left the gap at stock should I re-gap them to 40? I changed the fuel filter and run at least 2 tanks of gas through it including adding some seafoam to it. I also did the seafoam treatment to the intake manifold to clean out the carbon buildup. I noticed the carb had some holes plugged with crimped off hoses so I changed them out to plugs. It also had an exhaust leak at the down pipe and finally got it fixed too.
So this carb has all kinds of things on it that aren't hooked up because truck is a basic manual choke. I'm not sure if things are correct on it or what should be removed(solenoids?) and what should remain. So when its warmed up and I am on the road when I depress the pedal there is a instant half second hesitation before it accelerates. What would cause this? It also diesels when I turn it off so from reading your posts I need to fidget with idle and mixture screws but have no idea which one is which either. I did buy an HEI dizzy for it so wondering if I should drop it in or get it running smoother first? See pictures of current set up. Not sure why they are sideways...
Attached Images

Last edited by G8rN@te61; 12-02-2017 at 08:15 AM.
G8rN@te61 is offline   Reply With Quote