View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #38
low&slow
Account Suspended

Re: Tell your "How I got my truck story"

Gosh you guys sure do make me feel really young. lol. Back in 2005 when I was 12, there was this lil old lady that had a 100% original matching number 69 chevy camper special w/out the camper. I told her I really liked old trucks and that it would be best if I got an old one. That way I can learn to fix my own stuff if I need to fix something. She told me to go do yard work for her for one summer and I could have it. So that's what I did when I was 11. Turned 12 and my dad and I went and got the truck. My plans were to fix the broken 350 that was in it, but I didn't know how. And I wanted to take it and give it back to the lil old lady. So my grandpa and I spent 3 weeks putting a BB 454 in it. As soon as we got it going, about a week later my grandpa passed away. So after about a month or so dealing with that, by that time I was 13, I asked my brother if he could drive the truck back to the lil old lady so I could give it back to her. Well, we got to her place and her grandson told us that she had passed away the week before. So, to this day I still have the truck and nothing has been changed other than having the BB in it. I'm not going to fix it up or make the body straight or anything. Just going to keep it as she is in memory of this lil old lady and my grandpa.

Also, a little history on the truck. I am the 3rd owner of it. Found out it was built in Boise, Idaho (same county as me) and sold in Boise, Idaho. I guess it's actually suppose to be a 1970. It came off the assembly line in '69 and had a bunch problems so they took it back in and fixed it. Finally came off the assembly line to be sold in 1970. Someone bought it in 1970 and cut the dash and put in a radio from a jeep or something, but they did a dang good job at cutting it. Anyways, the lil old lady I got it from had owned it from 1975 till 2005. She told me that has been her Only vehicle she's ever had and it was her daily driver till the motor broke. Then her grandson drove her around town.

Shortly after all that. I was 14 and got into drag racing pretty big. My dad told me if I'm into racing and show a big interest in fixing old trucks, then he will go buy me something I can race. When I turned 15 he went and got me a '69 c10 long-bed with no motor or tranny or interior. I asked him how I was suppose to race it and he told me, "You got to fix it first. That's why I've been having you practice up for the last year." I didn't think he was too funny. So a few years went by and I stuffed a 500 caddy into it. Still to this day I can't race it legally at the track. Took it down there once when my brother worked at the drag strip and he let me slip by and not do inspection and I ended up getting banned from the track. No seat belts. Cracked windshield. Seat wasn't bolted down. Water leaking. Transmission fluid leaking. Battery wasn't secured down and so on :/
But I did get to race my brothers 72 chevy long-bed. I didn't know anything about bracket racing at the time, but I did make it all the way to the finals before I blew his motor at the end of that track.
Well, That's my story on my trucks.

Last edited by low&slow; 09-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote