View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #77
focusedontheprize

Re: 1949 Chevy 3100 - the journey begins

The next project was getting the transmission sorted. After all my research on here and Stovebolt, I came to the conclusion I should have gone with my original setup from day 1 - T5 swap. I still do not know how I veered off track, but this time I was going to do it.

One of my buddies had a NWC transmission laying in his garage he was willing to part with. It was originally from a '85 Camaro and he said the car didn't have many miles on it. So after buying him a couple beers I was a the proud new owner of a T5.

In the last picture you can tell the amount of grease and dirt that was cake on this transmission. So I brought it over to the car wash the next day to clean it up.

I located a S10 tail housing in the junk yard. The owner was nice enough to let me swap it out for no charge so that was a great deal. I opened up the original Camaro box and was very pleased - no broken teeth, no damage or real wear, and the syncros were in mint condition. I really lucked out on this one. Picked up a shim kit, checked the end play, and buttoned it all up. I am running a hydraulic clutch setup on this and it shifts like a dream.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote