Thread: Luke's '65
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Freaky1

Re: Luke's '65

One of the hot rods my dad built when I was real young had a Chrysler Slant 6 in it. I always got crap from the kids who's dads had Fords or Chevys but be damned if that car ever broke down. One of the things that drew me to this was the 230, that engine seems like a rock, something about those 6's.

Last weekend we checked it all out and tried to fire it but it wouldn't go. Checked the plugs and sure enough, no spark. Popped the distributor cap and found the rotor wasn't seated, got that and put the cap back on. Next turn of the key and bang, it fired right up.

It ran nice and we warmed it up then rev'ed it up a bit and it sounded almost like new, only the most faint traces of smoke from the exhaust. It really charged my son up to have it run that well after he did the work with some diagnostic suggestions from me.

The roof skin is hopefully being delivered today or tomorrow then we move on that. The PO noticed the rust around the drip rails and slapped a ton of sealer of some kind on it. While I can see rust under the roof skin, it looks like that sealer might have helped. I'll post a short vid of the startup soon and update on the roof situation.