View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #133
Duncan K

Re: 66 GMC Long to Short LS Swap

Not a whole lot of progress in the last few months. I finished welding up the hoop over the drive shaft. Also chopped an inch and a half out of the trans crossmember to get my angle right.

I've been hoping to get the motor fired up so I started to tackle the last little loose ends, battery, air intake, plugged off the extra return port on the power steering pump(hydroboost), got all the fluids filled. I built a temporary pod for a power switch, push button start, a fuse block and an oil pressure gauge. Powered everything up, pushed the start button, it cranked but not even a sputter. Hooked up a scanner and it was throwing a code because my ECT wasn't hooked up. The harness from the donor is very strange and doesn't match with any pin out or wiring diagram that I could find. I couldn't figure out how or where the ECT sensor wiring got to the ECU (have a whole other thread on this). Decided this harness and ECU had to get replaced. Only one I could find locally was drive by wire so I had to get the pedal, tac module, and a DBW throttle body to match it.

Round 2 on the harness rework.

I paid a guy to reflash the first ECU, but after reading a great thread by Gregski in the LS Swap section I decided to take the plunge and buy HPTuners and reflash this one myself. I made a trip to the junk yard and picked up a OBD2 port and some ECU plugs to make a bench harness so I could make changes to the ECU out of the truck. Plugged in and fired up HPTuners, did the simple stuff like removing Vats and all the emissions stuff.

Installed the new harness and ECU, pushed the button, still cranks and no start. Did some trouble shooting, injectors getting signal, but no spark. Ended up finding a ground for the coils that I forgot to hook up. Grounded that to the block, now I have spark but still doesn't even sputter. Checked for fuel, have pressure before the regulator but not a drop on the other side. Stopped by a few parts places today but couldn't find a replacement. Getting one from a friend so fingers crossed I'll be firing it up tomorrow!! I figured that if the regulator is plugged solid I should probably clean the injectors. They are getting a bath in my ultrasonic cleaner and some seafoam.

After almost 5 months I finally got my radiator from RnD. Took 6 weeks to ship, then UPS lost it, then found it but the fan was damaged, shipped it back to RnD to be replaced and took over a month to finish the claim so it could be shipped out again. FedEx had it at my door a week later! Long wait but its a very good looking product.