View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #150
Duncan K

Re: 66 GMC Long to Short LS Swap

Back to work on the cab. Finished up the driver side floor, fit the rocker, all is great. Hung the door to make sure all the gaps were good and.............CRAP! Door doesn't fit in the opening. Looks like the front part of the floor is about 5/8 of an inch too high. Not sure what happened, there wasn't much left to measure off, everything was completely rotted out. had to cut the pillar, kick panel and across the floor, and then bend the floor down 5/8". Nothing like hacking up stuff you just finished replacing. I hung the door and what was left of the original fender to confirm fitment of the door this time. ended up having to push the rear pillar back a little as well to get the gaps right.

Pushing the floor down changed the angle of the firewall so I had to remove a piece of the kick panel to make it work. Took a lot of work to fix this mistake. Added the 5/8" to the pillar, kick panel and firewall and welded everything up, .....again!

Got the rockers welded in on both side, and patched a hole in the cowl.

This was a really frustrating mistake to make but I am moving forward again and I learned what not to do for next time.