View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #240
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Re: Got some new wheels: Boss 338's in 20x10 and 20x8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Let's not get into a panic here. Do you upgrade your brakes if you're going to have a passenger in your vehicle? Didn't think so. The rims weigh more, but the tires weigh less. And we're talking about a 2-ton vehicle, not a 500-pound motorcycle. Yes, there's a difference in rotational mass, but overall the weight difference is negligible in the big scheme of things on a vehicle this size. (If you want to do the math, an increase in rotational mass equates to about a 10x increase in static mass -- for example, adding 40 lbs at the wheels is roughly the same as adding 400 lbs of cargo.) If your braking system is so close to its limits that the weight of the wheels means life or death, you've got bigger problems than wheel selection.

I agree that brakes need to be a MUCH higher priority than just about anything else on a vehicle. But I don't see adding a few pounds per corner as something that necessitates a $2000 brake upgrade. IMHO, of course.

Brent

I laugh when people make this argument. Like when they pull that 2 ton trailer, or load the bed that the truck was okd to haul. or when you put the 5 passengers in the vehicle. better upgrade your brakes ASAP