View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: ignition switch removal problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by long69 View Post
mine are keyed alike, i had to get new locks for the doors and when i did i had them key'd the same as the ignition. as i recall finding a cheap locksmith was a chore but i found one at a fair price. i think i paid 30 bucks. it took 15 min so i think 30 was fair. shoot now that i think about i wonder if it would have be cheaper to just have changed the ignition key to match the new door locks

Yes, it would have been cheaper to re-key the ignition lock cylinder. To re-key the door locks you have to remove the stainless cover from the front of the lock which usually means replacing the cover. Plus you have to re-key two locks when you do the doors.

Another thing to consider for anyone else thinking about doing this is to make sure that the key that you are going to use physically fits into the lock you are going to have re-keyed. There are four different keyways and key blanks for the '67-'72 chevy & GMC trucks.

Also, to mirror what Andy said all '67-'72 GM trucks came from the factory with the doors and ignition keyed the same...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-