View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #23
DieselSJ

Re: Trans cooler, too big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Explanation? I am not doubting your word but the top of the radiator is hotter than the lower. Why send hot fluid in the cooler section and take it out at the hotter section?

What about horizontal coolers?

Now, I know the OE's use hot transmission fluid to heat the radiator quicker to get into warm closed loop faster but that is an emission deal not transmission life consideration.
Because you want the fluid to push any air up and out of the cooler. It also causes the fluid to use the entire cooler. Cooler mounted sideways (horizontal) is the best with hot into the bottom and return from the top. 2nd best way is both fittings on top. Worst way is both fittings on bottom as there is no way to purge all the air from the cooler.

As for your theory about hotter/colder on the radiator, the trans cooler is in the cold tank so temperature should be consistent from top to bottom...theoretically...as no cooling takes place in the tank.

Not sure where the info came from that the factory pushes into the top and out the bottom as my TH400 in my 87 most definitely pumped into the bottom and out the top.

As for what you read on the internet...forget all that crap and go hang around any professional endurance racing team and see how they plumb stuff. I'm basing my statements on my 30+ years of IMSA, SCTA, SCORE and BITD racing experience.