View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
droberson

Re: 1988 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 - First project ever.

Busy weekend!

-Fixed the tilt on the steering wheel
-Replaced ignition switch so it can start with a key now!
- Replaced the disgusting steering wheel with a Grant steering wheel out of my non-operational RX7
- Fixed the power door lock actuators
- Fixed the drivers side power windows
- Replaced both interior door handles.
- Replaced both door panels.
- Cleaned the inside of the doors up
- Greased the tracks for the power window tracks
- Put split loom around wires inside the door panels.
- Replaced tailgate handle bezel.
- Replaced tail lights. Just as suspected, they literally crumbled and fell apart when I took them out.
- Went to the DMV to transfer the title into my name. Two hours of waiting and 5 minutes at the counter.

Notes:
- I had to buy a heavy duty riveter to replace the power window actuator. My hand riveter that I use normally was too small to fasten the huge rivets to hold on the window actuator. The Harbor Freight one is $20 and works just fine. It seems it will last a while as long as someone doesn't fasten things with rivets for a living.
- The power locks were not working because the actuators were so gummed up, they couldn't move. I cleaned all the crud off of them and magically they started working again.
- The drivers side door has a big crack and bend in the interior. This will need to be replaced or fixed later.
- The drivers side door lock will not open with a key, but will with the mechanical AND power switch inside. Something is broken inside the handle. The passenger side's lock is just fine. Both handles get stuck in the up position sometimes, so I think a spring or something inside the handles is worn out.
- Discovered that the tailgate handle is messed up when I replaced the tail lights and tailgate handle bezel. I had to jimmy it open with a flat head screwdriver to replace the tail lights.
- The turn signal cancelling cam is cracked. I ordered a new one They are cheap.
- Ordered a pigtail to make the horn work again.
- The switch to turn the brights on is broken.
- The face plates for the interior door handle/locks/power window buttons are cracked, one has a hole drilled in it, and some jackass hot glued one back in place. I'm going to attempt to salvage these because a new one costs $45.
- Goop hand cleaner is the truth for wiping off old electrical tape residue from wires and cleaning up plastic electrical clips.
- Seat belts are on the way.
- My boss is friends with an upholstery guy. I'm going to get a quote to fix my bench seat soon.
- Sun visors are surprisingly expensive, so I am looking for other options to fix these.
- Once I get seat belts installed, I am going to insure + register this so I can drive it around.
- The inside no longer stinks like sweaty armpits.

I uploaded some pictures of my progress. After I eat dinner and go grocery shopping, I'm going to resize them and post them.