View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 07:56 PM   #9
coldrider

Re: Need more traction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I'm lost when it comes to tuning...it voodoo to me, but could a tuner do some adjustments to the tune and help on the lower end?...it's seems now every racer with fi is adj on them for max performance
Sweet lookin truck btw..!!!
Its a little bit voodoo to me, too, which is why I hired the tuning out, at least for now. I'm trying to learn but not brave enough tweak anything without a second set of eyes on it. I suppose I could talk to my guy about making some adjustments, but not 'til I swap tires. And thanks for the kind words on the truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
For more traction here what may help. Raise the front of the trailing arms and shim the pinion back to about a 1/2 degree down. This will raise the instant center and ad bite to the initial hit. Get the tire from your chart with the most side wall. Reduce the tire pressure to let the side walls work. Get a set of double adjustable shocks. Work with the settings to allow a harder hit with the extension setting. That allows the shock to extend easier on the hit and that will help drive tire down. then tune the compression to control the rotation to help keep it hooked. The drag radials are not designed to hook on a slick surface. Radial prep will rip your shoes off. Radial cars dead hook the tire.
Jimmy
Thanks for the tips. I've read a couple threads here about flipping the trailing arm brackets after lowering to improve traction. In your opinion is this a must-do, noticeable improvement or is it one of those "every little bit helps" kind of things, cause I glance under there occasionally and then say "not today"

Already failed on point #2 and got the tire with the lesser sidewall, mostly cause I didn't want to wait weeks or months. 305/35s ET SS's on the way, be here tomorrow. And I'm not quite following your comments on drag radials, except that you might be implying I'd have been better off not buying them. All I can hope for is they hook better than the super-hard G2s that are on there now.

I'll read up on the adjustable shocks cause just running cheapo KYBs right now. If there's a good product or info page you wanna share, please pass it along. And thanks again
coldrider is offline   Reply With Quote