View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Livrat
Member #1049

Re: Blazer top sag / repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
FWIW
I have a very nice single wall, and even it has a sag.,I'm going to take it to a boat shop and have them smooth and gel coat it I guess.
After seeing the blueprint of the single wall,(notice the metal trusses?) I'm wondering if you could bolt it to a solid surface and jack it up a little in the middle to take some of the bow out. .???
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a couple of both single and double wall tops.. the doubles sag worse than the singles.
I hate to say it but the "trusses" you see in the blueprints are not metal.. they are simply 1"X2"s .. yes.. they are wood!!

Reason I know this after stripping the texture off of the single wall top to smooth it out, I found a lump and a crack on the passenger side above a "rib" so while grinding it down I hit wood.. Whoa!!

I really pondered taking a die grinder and cutting slots from side to side and removing the wood trusses and then propping up the sags from underneath and epoxing in new steel 1X2 rectangular tubing then refinishing it all. But I already had over 40 hours in smoothing it and decided to live with the sags.

Just remember if you do any repairs to any of the tops, They are not the "normal" fiberglass, they are made of SMC and do not have a gel coat, this requires different materials to repair, If you use regular polyester resin it will fail over time!..
The best materials to use are SMC formulated resins. Or epoxy.. also when you go to paint it. make sure the very first coat is epoxy primer and not urethane as it will not stick.
Attached Images

Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote