View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 12:55 PM   #8
LT7A

Re: Performance Steering & Handling?

Makes sense that you can set up a job with the big truck and then rip back and forth in the S-truck during the middle of it. We do something similar by bringing in a gang box or more and having identifiable mobilization and demobilization tasks when we put a schedule together. That's for jobs that go on for months, but they are similar to what you're talking about. In fact I'm trying to convince a buddy here to set up his jobs with a toolbox so that he can stop carrying tools around in his truck all the time or loading / unloading it frequently. To that end, one of those cheap harbor freight trailers might be the ticket if the client has room for it to be chained up somewhere.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but for the sake of discussion, I'll mention that I've come around to the Dirty Larry perspective on rear drums, haha, if you remember him. The fronts do so much of the work that it's a considerable cost to swap out a system that in good condition, is usually more than adequate. The discs definitely look cooler, and if you can snag a rear end that has the gears you want at the same time, that's a slam dunk.

I recently also read a good post on rear sway bars for pickups. I'll bet one off of a blazer would do just fine. But a pickup relies on independent rear end articulation to keep a firm tire contact patch in order to turn and stop well while it does not have a load in the back. And a sway bar, by tying the two sides of the suspension together, can end up causing less grip under certain conditions. I like putting sway bars on pickups to stop the wallowing, but it was a good thought to me to go with a stock size one like off of a half ton Suburban for a full size, so a stock S Blazer bar ought to be just the thing.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote