View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #45
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66redw/white View Post
i still have drums up front. the rear track width is more narrow on my blazer also. must be just somethin that gm does i guess.
I've got disc so the front of mine is even wider, I'll definitly have to find another set of rims with the drop center closer to the center to give me more backspacing for the front wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
duuude love the work truck!!! trick work on the wheels
Thanks Dino!

Just got the welds ground down on the rims and popped the centers in place. The backspacing measures 2 1/8" and the distance from the hub mounting area to the edge of the outside lip is 7". Going by 66redw/white's measurements, these won't fit on the rear either without hitting the lip of the wheel opening. The buldge of a tire sidewall will make the interference even worse. I guess I could narrow the rear axle to make them fit, and I'm not sure how much clearance I could gain by trimming or rolling the lip of the opening (which I'm not sure I want to do on such a solid truck). Also, I'm planning on upgrading the rear brakes to late 70's K10 drums like SFTorange did in his "Brown Truck" build (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...4&postcount=39). Looking at his pics it seems that the backing plates are dished so the extra width of the drums is all to the inside of the axle; I'll need to get that done so I can get a definite measurement of the rear axle though.

Or, are there any factory axles that are already narrower, and the K10 drum assemblies will bolt up to? Preferably with a posi/lsd? I'm new to suspension work on these trucks so I don't know anything about what will interchange.

I guess by time I go through the trouble of swapping rear ends, I could just narrow the one I have and add a posi, and I could change the R&P ratio while I'm in there. I don't think I'll be happy with the 3.08 R&P that's in it now, I'd rather have a 3.73 or 4.11 and use a 5 speed with overdrive 5th.

Just thinking out loud here, your thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited by theastronaut; 09-11-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: add link
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote