Thread: 24v Questions
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
notchbackgta

Re: 24v Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxd07 View Post
Just the fact that you can get engines for 450 is worth it unless you wait around for the deal of the century on a 12vpickup. My buddy stumbled on a 95 for a 1000 bucks that had under 200,000 miles and a 5 speed. And it was HAMMERED out, frame cracked, cab mounts busted and broke. Was previously a pick-n-roll ranch truck from out in the sticks. Usually can't find a junker here for under 2500 and at 2500 that's a tough find unless it has 500,000 miles on it. I would buy a complete cummins in any form that came out of a running truck for 450 all day. I would have to drive a ways to find a deal like that since even junkyards seem to want $1000+ for a cummins out of a running truck.
Just to clarify, I think each engine is $140, but I have to call to verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I wouldn't say a 24v flows mire or better because it has more valves. They are half the size of a 12v, but both heads have the same restrictive intake area. I've seen make the same kind of power at different levels. I have a 'VE and a P pump 24v. Both are great, but I've also grown to like a VP44 too. It's nice to have the availability of the electronic IP too, and they're not that hard to wire up either.
One reason I am wondering on all this is because the wiring harnesses are completely cut off the computer on the sides of the block, and I would rather not get into all that on this vehicle. I am going to be building harnesses from scratch on two of my other projects and I am liking the simplicity of Starter, grid heater and fuel solenoid.

Unless you tell me that making the harness for the electronic IP is really simple.....
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote