Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #255
8man

Re: Wife's 48

I followed the instructions from Dsraven, and he even sent me some more that I used. Then I reverted to a build thread I saw on here for some more help. I looked at the mounts used by Hussey when he built Albert. So after some more head scratching, I did it, I got the Transdapt S10 V8 swap mounts.

This put the motor lower, which I've been told is good for handling. I now have about 3" between the oil pan and the crossmember. The engine is about 2.5" from the radiator and sits in front of the firewall about 3/4". In comparing pictures, I think my radiator is in about the right place.
IMG_0169 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

The radiator bracket sits on the steering box adjustment screw. I've seen some others drill out that spot on the bracket, and if I do that I think it will work.
IMG_0170 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

So I read some hood fitment issues on here recently, so I thought I should put the hood on so I can see if the front clip is properly aligned BEFORE I drill the hole for the steering box adjustment screw. So I got the hood out and discovered this!
IMG_0172 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
IMG_0173 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
Yes, I have some more rust to get rid of, but that's not the subject of this story.

The bolt on the left in the last picture is the hood bolt like the two on the other side. However that bolt on the right not only has a smaller head, it is a larger bolt with course threads.

So is the bolt on the right the correct bolt for that location on the hood, or did a PO "fix" it to work? If it is not the correct bolt, does anyone know of a way to fix the over sized hole so it will hold the correct bolt?

Since I installed the cross members for the bed, I thought I should test fit it as well. So I've put the bed together and tomorrow I'm going to try to set it in place.
IMG_0174 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
With the bed in place to see how it sits, the cab and the front clip on, that leaves the hood to get a feel for the way the cab sits on the frame.

I just read the "Hood" question on the forum and I have a copy of the factory hood installation pages from the Photobucket posting. Thanks for that. So now I guess I'll have to get my beer drinking buddy to come over and help set the hood.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote