Thread: The Wood Shop
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 02:09 AM   #8
'63GENIII

Re: The Wood Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
This topic came up on another thread here, so I'll start this thread to keep that one less off-track.

Here's a couple of tool chests I've made. The top one is quarter sawn white oak and used to hold my small wood carving tools. It was getting beat up in transport to and from class, so I retired it and it now holds some measuring and drafting tools. The big one holds my large carving tools and has 5 drawers as expansion space as I buy the ones I need. The bottom left drawer is for mallets, so it's deeper.
Man those are gorgeous! It definitely takes a plan, patience and time to build cabinet - furniture quality pieces like that. I am jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
very nice Steve!!!

grandpa was a german immigrant, wood carver and pattern maker, in the latter years carved gunstocks for fajens out of warsaw mo..

there's a boat load of old german steel carving tools and even his old gun bench

dad dabbled in a few things, we had a lathe, joiner, tablesaw, table sander, etc..

I dabbled a little too, made this in sophomore or junior year of hs, got a ribbon at show in cmsu warrensburg

hope to get back to it when I retire, nothing better than building things that work and fit!

made a pantry for my folks out of old grain truck tongue and groove flooring, mom still uses it every day!
You built that in high school? Makes that laminated wood duck that i made in wood shop look like a piece of firewood! . That gun case is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
not much from grandpa either.. one marlin 336 with some fine checkering and oak leaf..

I kept thinking I need to take it down for pictures when I'm back home but never did, yet..

mom asked him a few times about carving stocks for some of our guns and told her to call fajen..

Reinhardt came to his funeral and gave us this catalog display stock but he didn't even like it, but would carve whatever customers wanted..

he drew all his own art and patterns, got a cigar box full of layouts..

it belongs to some odd rem rolling block curved tang model.. also difficult to find matching forestock even if I could find the rifle..

At the risk of removing all doubt that Im not a wood worker I have to ask. What is Oak Leaf? Is it an actual leaf carved into the stock?

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote