View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 AM   #41
Hunyoc

Re: Dad's 1979 GMC Heavy Half Transformation

I like the story, I like the truck, my hat's off to you and your father for your time for me.
your welding isn't that bad if a grinder can fix it. For me there some things I remind my self of every time I weld. Is it as clean as the grinder will make it before I start. (I have warped more steel removing excess weld with my grinder than my welder) do I start my weld by touching the welding wire to the side the ground is attached to IT Matters More with MIG even after a good tack, look at the ground clamp it has two sides the side with the wire on it should be on the sanded to bare steel no paint under it and keep it on the panel your welding its easy for 10 or more years of rust between spot welds all the way acrost your cab to change things. Adding larger wire is like adding more speed to the wire with out the voltage result in more grinding .035 will stop splatter only because it will demand and make its own clean ground .030 can weld 1/4' and down with my welder if I take the time to practis and adjust on similer thickness before I commit. I am sure I'm missing something even walk around it and hold your mouth just right. You would be surprised how often a welder with over 25 years exp. welding STILL needs to fix something (His mind) before he starts or client see's that perfectly welded and certifiable 6.0 SEC. CHASSY that passes NHRA CERT.
Your doing great so far keep up the good work. Finish this for your dad It will be the best thing you will ever do for your self. don't let time, take what you already deserve (a pat on the back for life, doing the best you can without him)
I hope you stay blue and white if not it's yours now have fun with it, even the jurney.

JcE
Hunyoc is offline   Reply With Quote