View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #111
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

I shoved the motor around until it was centered in the frame rails, and just far enough away from the firewall that I probably could get the heads off the head studs without dropping the motor or pulling the cab. You know: serviceability.

Finally got motor mounts tacked together. I initially tried to mimic the 63+ mount in tube, but attaching to the new (higher) upper control arm mounts to give it rigidity. Worked fine on the passenger side, but not the driver's side because of the steering - nothing seemed to work well.

Then I thought if I ever wanted to ditch the turbo and run headers, that tube would be in the way, so.....

Simple "ears" off the crossmember, basic plate on the motor, the tubing will be gusseted.

Driver's side got the ears further down to clear the steering (this is not the u-joint I'm using, I'm just gauging space). Not symmetrical (boo), but it will work (yay). Though I will very likely change the tube and make it centered in the mount plate (double yay).

Not a lot of clearance between the motor and the rack:

Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote