View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #56
Bigdually

Re: 1986 S10 Daily Driver Rollover Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
My Nissan tow rig is about to do that same trick
It definitely wasn't pleasant on the little 4 banger when it happened, the drone was ear-splitting. I'm talking like a 19 year old with a Civic type of bad

Parts to fix the exhaust came in today, and I wasted no time in getting them put on the truck. Summit sells an absolutely WONDERFUL fitting mandrel bent THREE INCH exhaust kit for an S10. And it's $167, which is cheaper than anyone local could or would make the same stuff IF you can even find a shop that will mandrel bend you some 3". It even comes with the hangers to install it just like a factory system and a weird pivot joint that I was skeptical about, but doesn't leak.

Surprisingly, it doesn't sound at all loud or ricey! I was very happy with how it turned out, it's actually very similar to how quiet it was with the old muffler before it gave up. There's a slight bit of resonance at a very specific RPM point, but I'm not too worried, I have more to do on the exhaust that will change and fix that issue anyhow. The factory manifold is actually not at all bad, the collector is 2.5". It has a weird flange/restrictor deal on it that narrows it to 1.5" though, and there's tiny pipe for the crossover. I will be modifying the manifold with a 2.5" Vband and having a 2.5" crossover pipe bent, and then running back and into a 2.5" to 3" transition at the muffler. If I get too much drone I will stick a resonator in the straight run under the passenger floor where the cat resided long ago.

Until the point I get the other work done, I can drive it as is. It'll be back on daily duty in the morning.
Attached Images