Thread: 47-55.1 Chopped Trucks
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #40
mr48chev

Re: Chopped Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Wonder if chopping helps with wind resistance. Was driving N 101 against 40 - 60 MPH+ and gusts about stalled my unchopped 4x4.
The slant chop on mine that it isn't getting on the new cab because it creates too much work fitting things does/did make a big difference with the wind and you don't have the wind buffeting in the cab like one that isn't chopped.
The air slides around rather than in the windows. It actually didn't get enough air in though the windows when it was hot at low speeds.

Even when the truck was subframed and sitting real low it still moved around in those winds a bit, not as bad as before I chopped it and still had the I beam but I did the chop and subframe all in 1980 then drove it to Texas in 1981 and Utah in 1982.

I don't think it would make much difference on a raised 4x4 that was as light as yours should be. Well under 4000 lbs the wind is going to push you around some.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote