View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
ChevyTech

Re: Rebuild 91 k1500 help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74CustomK20 View Post
When I put the distributor back in, it (rotor I think it's called) was pointed toward the #1 cylinder so I assumed that was true tdc.
Did you line up the timing mark on the front crank pulley?
How did you make sure it was on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke?

The crankshaft makes two revolutions for every one revolution of the distributor. One time the crankshaft lines up with TDC on the compression stroke and the next turn the crankshaft will go by TDC on the exhaust stroke.

The distributor rotor could be pointing at number one plug wire when it should be pointing 180 degrees away at the number six plug wire.

An easy way to see if it is on the compression stroke is to remove the number one spark plug and see if it is blowing air out the plug hole as it comes up on TDC. If not it is on the exhaust stroke and number six cylinder is on its compression stroke.

Number six cylinder is 180 degrees (directly across) from number one on the distributor cap.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 06-02-2020 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Add more
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote