View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
eodbeast

Re: SBC 350 top end noise

It seems slightly louder on the passenger side to me as well. Break in went perfect, no issues at all. Truck runs like a scalded dog. All the rocker arms have been measured for travel and match the lift specs of the cam.

No metal particles in the oil, that was the first thing I checked. The reason for the new cam was 6 wiped lobes on the original because of the oil I was using. Found out the hard way that these old flat tappet cams don't like the lack of ZDDP in their bath.

I was thinking possibly distributor too, (it is an Accel after all) but nothing indicating that as the cause when I put the stethoscope to it. As a matter of fact, neither the stethoscope or a length of hose to the ear has helped pinpoint the source. Even replaced the header gaskets to eliminate that as a possibility.

I hate not being able to solve this problem, but may have to start collecting the pieces to put the 355 block on the engine stand together to have a little more peace of mind. This old 84 K10 is going to be my daily driver soon and don't want to have to concern myself with reliability issues. The engine is the only thing that I have not completely rebuilt on this truck. Everything but the rods and pistons have been replaced at some point in the last year as I got parts together.
eodbeast is offline   Reply With Quote