View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #151
patdaly

Re: 86 Silverado K20 12V CUMMINS Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
You can get them from Snap-on for $189. When I purchased mine I paid $489. Yes, I'm more than bitter about that.
FWIW, back when I first got into my Cummins, the kits were still almost 500 bucks as well, made my own from instructions given to me on DTR, under 70 bucks complete. Works just as good as the pro kit

Here is the PM from a fellow dieselhead.

"Hey no problem, I dont mind helping.
Well, You can get a delivery valve socket from piers diesel for $30.
2. For the dial indicator, Harbor Freight sells them for $10, and it works just as good as an expensive one. It has been used ot the forum more than once. The only prob. with it is it is in inches. That isnt a big deal, because if you search on DTR people have converted the mm to in. measuremens.
3. For a dial indicator holder, you can use a drain plug from our cummins. I went to autozone and they had one for $5.00. You just drill out the center so the dial indicator slides in there. Then you need to drill and tap a small hole for a set screw in the side of the drain plug, so the indicator doesnt move.
4. For the gear puller, any cheap steering wheel puller will work. You can get them from auto parts stores, for under $20.

I did mine this way and it worked out great. I looked on ebay and came across a metric dial indicator for cheap, after I did it with the inch dial indicator.

There you go, under $70.

Also, I dont recommend it, but I have read on here people use a set of chanel-locks and a rag to get the delivery valve holder off. The only prob. with that, is re-torquing the holder, to much and you will tear the o-ring and you can only get it at a bosch dealer, I guess its some weird size."

I am sure prices have gone up a tick since then, but not that much.
patdaly is offline   Reply With Quote