View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #17
jdriskill

Re: A plan to make my '70 pretty(er)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
It looks like you're in pretty good shape. There are Coatings designed for marginally prepared surfaces. Permanent rust sealer[ aluminum pigmented] is used on Bridges and has a 20-year service life. Clean it up best you can make sure you put a second coat of the Permanent rust sealer on it and then any kind of black topcoat you'd like over it.
Cool. That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll View Post
Welcome to 70 LWB club!!!
Yes my brother! Love me the long bed and you're right on about getting supplies in it. It's what a truck is for!

Quote:
As for going to bare metal. If the DA is taking the paint off easy, its flaking off, or not feathering on the edges, then I would take down to bare metal, as that is a sign of bad adhesion.
Great. I can definitely tell where it's sticking and where it isn't. That's going to be my plan.

Quote:
Get some sheet metal from HD or Lowes and practice your welds. Spot welds and butt welds are the most common. I like to test my practice pieces by taking them back apart. Your screw ups can be great learning experiences, not that your going to have any of those, right.

What color are you going with?
Will do on the sheet metal. Definitely gonna be screw ups! I'm going with a non-metallic light gray.

Thought of a few more questions:

On the inside of these pieces should I use something like CLR to get as much rust out as possible? Seems like sanding in there is going to be...ah...challenging. Or should I just do like lupo said and use a rusty metal primer in there without doing much?

Then once I have the insides cleaned up and primed I guess I'm going to top coat that with something other than my actual color for the rest of the truck. Maybe a low gloss black something? Suggestions?
jdriskill is offline   Reply With Quote