View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #117
theastronaut

Re: 1963 VW Convertible Build

I've got a bit done although it's been on the back burner for awhile. The transmission popped out of third gear ever since I originally had it rebuilt, so I took it out and back to the shop that rebuilt it for them to check over. I discovered another problem taking the axles out... swingaxles don't like being run as low as I had it with that much camber. The axle ends have seen enough friction and heat to gall the surfaces and pull chunks out of axles, fulcrum plates, and side gears.

Got the wheels painted the correct two tone colors, black and L457 Cadmium Red, masked in the correct location for a convertible- under the trim rings instead of at the edge of the center.

I ran across a set of Diamondback Radials in the correct size on marketplace for $400 back in December. A local guy had bought them and never used them.

I found a stock front beam and tore it down. The arms and spindles are blasted and painted, ready for reassembly. The beam is blasted and I've fixed a bit of rust in the shock towers and is ready to repaint.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote