View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Unhappy 72 C10 SBC 350 - Valve Seals (Stock)

Hi guys,

My C10 72 SBC 350 was rebuilt a few months back and I am getting a bit of startup smoke. It's not horrible, at least at the moment - burns off quickly and does not do it again until it has had time to sit a number of hours or parked overnight/few days. The passenger side blows the most on startup, just enough smoke for me to start up the engine, get out of the truck and see it.

The worst offender is #8 spark plug by far (photo attached). But for comparison, I have attached #1 spark plug too, best of them (say around 1k miles on them). I have attached photos of one of the heads before and after valve & spring install - so they can be seen for what that is worth.

So, I know there is a O-Ring but is there or is there not suppose to be umbrella seals on a 72 SBC 350? Oh then there is the Valve Spring Shields with O-Rings.

Basically, what are all the bits for oiling sealing that needs to be in place?

PS: My bother did admit when he 1st started the valve install, the engine guy with him helping made him stop, as he was doing something wrong and had to start over.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote