View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
MikeB

Re: Manifold or Headers, H or X pipe, muffler brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherandSon View Post
1. Most headers available are 1 1/2" tube. A Super Chevy article indicated a 1 5/8" tube is best & can produce up to 16 hp but larger tubes drain low end torque. GMPP says 1 3/4" is best. Does the 1/4" or 1/8" make much difference?
That's nuts for them to say 1-3/4" is best for that engine. Both 1-1/2" and 1-5/8" will work better. 1-1/2"may give you more spark plug & boot clearance.

Quote:
2. A lot of posts on this board indicate a strong preference for stock manifold over problems w/headers. Will I notice the increase in hp w/headers or be wasting my money?
I'd say your rams horns will work great with that engine. I pulled some troublesome headers off my 69's mild 383, and went back to my angled 2" rams horns. Gotta say I didn't notice any seat of the pants power difference. Properly sized headers always help a little throughout the power band, but can be a PITA depending on how well they are made.

Quote:
3. Several posts indicate a preference for X pipes over H pipes for sound quality but some indicate this may reduce low end torque by reducing back pressure. Which is best?
Back pressure increases torque just like cheeseburgers make your heart healthier.

Quote:
4. Which mufflers? Are Magnaflo & Flowmaster worth the price or is there a quality lower cost option?
IMO, both of those will be very loud, except for maybe the long case 70-series Flowmasters. Dynomax long case Super Turbos are quieter and cost less.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote