Thread: Stp?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 11:05 PM   #8
toolboxchev

Re: Stp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2 View Post
Thought about STP Oil Treatment this morning for no reason - who still uses this stuff?

About a hundred years ago when I was younger I used it for all the cars I had with crappy rings and loose everything in the motors, used in a few times for assembly lube, and sometimes just cause I listened to the ads.

My worst offense with it - although pretty clever I thought at the time - was when I was buying, selling, and swapping cars a lot. I traded for a '64 Dodge hippie van with a straight 6 that turned out to get about 4 miles to a quart of oil. I was commuting to Cal State Long Beach for college and could barely get to class without taking a case of oil with me!

I switched to 4-1/2 quarts of STP and 1/2 quart of oil! That got rid of the giant cloud of smoke out the back (but not the one coming out of the inside of the van with a bunch of classic rock pouring out of the 8 track and giant box speakers) and held it together long enough for me to trade it to a guy for a '66 Nova.

Just curious if there's a good use anymore? It is sticky and slippery as hell so why not?
I have seen it work with a well worn engine. Same with Lucas. Beware though if there are not anti foaming agents in this stuff you will have other problems.

Regular Oil has anti foaming agents to prevent the oil pump from sucking foam.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote