Old 04-11-2021, 10:48 PM   #524
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Glad I could help, Chip.

Thanks, Dale!

Sean from Hot Rod Express made it to the house yesterday morning and put in six hours helping me hang front end sheetmetal. Took longer than it should have thanks to yours truly. One of my backup pieces for the cover panel was holding the driver side fender up and not letting it slip down over the inner fenderwell. By the time we realized what was happening, we'd spent a bunch of time trying to adjust the fender without a lot of success. Finally removed the fender and fixed the problem which made all the difference in how it fit. All the gaps (doors, cowl and hood) look good. Now the real test is getting the chrome grille surround to line up. It was adjusted pretty well before the car came apart for paint, but now it's giving me a bit of grief. I need to back off all the filler panel screws adjacent to the chrome pieces and see if that changes how the fender and the chrome piece fit. Not a lot of wiggle room, so plan B will be to use shims or trim pieces as needed.

The Eddie Motorsports hood brace just barely dinged the core support in two places. It comes to a point at those spots, so I had to remove the entire brace and mill .040" off the high spots. It now has enough clearance to keep from chipping the paint. Too late for me, though, as I now have some touching up to do. Sean offered to stay and help with the front bumper, but I declined. It was 5pm and I told him I was too tired. When I run out of steam is when I make unforced errors. He said he was happy to return when I'm ready. Need to get the rest of the grille pieces and the headlights in and wired before then.

But it's looking a lot more like a real car. Longer than I remembered.

OMG! It looks fantastic!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote