View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
1967C20

Re: Ram Assist Power Steering Rebuild w/Pics

Next I worked on the ball stud. A snap ring holds everything in place. The left side of the photo is what came out of ball stud socket and the order that they came out. The right side shows the cylinder rod seals and their replacements.

Some black paint...

Then the new cylinder rod seals followed by the snap ring.

The ball stud socket has an 0-ring that did not come in the kit. However, remember the unused o-ring in the control valve kit? I tried it and it was a perfect fit.

The ball stud goes in next followed by lots of grease then the ball seat.

Then the spring.....

The the cap and the snap ring.

Finished!

I hope this has been helpful. It seems that the Corvette parts may be the answer if you want to keep your ram steering. I do not know if the Corvette valves and cylinders are a direct bolt-in for the truck parts or not. If I had to guess, I would say yes, but without a part in hand to try, I couldn't be sure. The rebuild kits definitely fit but I will not know how they perform until I get everything back on the truck in few weeks. One thing for sure, everything is tighter and the slop is gone from the control valve. Another thing to consider is be sure to take care of your original hoses. The Corvette hoses from the valve to the cylinder look like they might fit but I don't know of anyone making the hoses that go from the pump to the control valve.
This was an easy rebuild that anyone could do with right tools. If you have any questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer.

1967 C20 Custom Camper, 327, Powerglide, PS, PB, No-Spin Locker

Last edited by augie; 04-03-2011 at 01:14 PM.